Healthcare associated infections (HAIs) are the number four cause of death in the United States, exceeding the combined mortality of breast cancer, AIDS and traffic
accidents. In a 2008 article, the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine, estimated that hospital acquired infections add an average of $15,000 to the cost of care which puts a total cost of infections in the U.S. around $40 billion a year.This cost is in addition to the suffering caused with more than 2 million infections a year, over 150,000 deaths and millions of extra days spent in the hospital.
Of equal concern are the evolving antibiotic resistant strains of microorganisms such as Methicillin-resistant Staphhylococcus aureas (MRSA) and Acinetobacter spp, which are making the resulting mortality of a healthcare associated infection greater than ever.
The result has been increased public pressure, and legislative initiatives, holding hospitals accountable for these increased costs. In October of 2008, Medicaid approved a policy to no longer reimburse hospitals for certain preventable errors (including some types of infections) and Medicare is reserving the right to further expand the list. Private insurers are following this lead.
One recent study found that 59% of environmental surfaces were contaminated with MRSA in affected patients’ rooms.Yet a rigorous environmental cleaning intervention can reduce the transmission of MRSA and other multidrug-resistant organisms in hospital intensive care units.
- Vital Oxide is a Fast and Effective Way to Kill Virus, Bacteria, and Mold That Cause Healthcare Associated Infections
In recent study conducted at
Nashville General Hospital
Acientobacter spp HAI infections
were reduced by 95%
• Vital Oxide can easily be integrated in Health Care facility disinfection guide lines replacing many existing product that are less effective, and
potentially dangerous to the staff, the benefit is cost and risk reduction.
• Vital Oxide will not allow the development of antibiotic resistant organisms. No need to rotate disinfectants used.
• Vital Oxide is non-corrosive to treated surfaces, and can be used on fabrics.
• Vital Oxide is eliminates bad odors and stains caused by blood, urine, and feces.